- A Canadian citizen, or a permanent resident may be eligible to sponsor their spouse (same or opposite sex) and any dependent children for permanent residency in Canada. An application for sponsorship can be made for a spouse or partner who is living either inside or outside Canada.
Spousal Visa Basic Requirements
Who is eligible to sponsor their spouse, partner or childYou can sponsor your spouse, partner or dependent child if:
- You’re at least 18 years old
- You’re a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act
- If you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when the persons you want to sponsor become permanent residents.
- You can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside Canada.
- You’re able to prove that you’re not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability
- you can provide for the basic needs of any persons you want to sponsor
The undertaking commits you to:
- providing financial support for your sponsored family members, starting when they become permanent residents
- repaying any provincial social assistance your sponsored family members get during that time
The sponsorship agreement means that:
- you’ll provide for the basic needs of your sponsored family members
- the person you sponsor will make every effort to support themselves and their family members
Income requirementIn most cases, there isn’t an income requirement to sponsor your spouse or partner or dependent child. You only need to show that you have enough money to meet the income requirements if:
- you’re sponsoring a dependent child that has 1 or more dependent children of their own, or
- you’re sponsoring a spouse or partner that has a dependent child, and their dependent child has 1 or more children of their own.
You’ll get the form when you download your application package.
If you live in QuebecYou must meet Quebec’s immigration sponsorship requirements after we approve you as a sponsor. You must sign an undertaking with the province of Quebec.
The Quebec ministry in charge of immigration will assess your income.