- A Canadian citizen, or a permanent resident who is living in Canada may be eligible to sponsor their spouse (same or opposite sex) and any dependent children for permanent residency in Canada. An application for sponsorship can be made for a spouse or partner who is living either inside or outside Canada.
Spousal Visa Basic Requirements
- A sponsor must be a Canadian citizen, or a permanent resident living in Canada
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- A spouse must be legally married to their sponsor, in either a same-sex or opposite-sex marriage, that is legally valid and recognized by both Canadian law and the law of the country where the marriage occurred.
- Both the sponsor and the spouse are required to meet additional requirements to apply for permanent residence and must undergo health and character checks.